Saturday, May 14, 2005

the new girl

It's scary being the new girl everywhere. But since I've returned from a year abroad, I decided to start a new life. And I don't mean that I've changed everything about me, but I've consciously adopted a new attitude to life. Trying lots of activities, meeting new people, not being afraid to act like a fool...just ask the people I've met! But why is it so hard to make new friends as an 'adult'? I remember being asked in grade 2, "Do you want to be my friend" and that was the start of a great friendship (in elementary school standards, which meant recess, lunch and birthday parties, until the start of the next grade). But as an adult (or at least that's what I'm labeled by society and the law), there's a social stigma of being a loser if you want to make new friends. It's like people have a quota of friends after the age of 21 and then they're full, no more people are welcome. They may have work friends, or acquaintances, but it's like their friendship building days are over. Well, I don't know about you, but I know I've sure changed a lot since I was 21, and that was just a few years ago! Who the heck stays the same throughout their 20s? Who would want to? So people, if you see me coming your way, watch out, I have a scary proposition for you. I may want to meet you and perhaps...are you ready for this...be your friend! OK, I promise, I'll invite you to my birthday party and I'll give you a cool loot bag with more than just dollar store toys in it. As I used to say when I was learning English as a 6 year old..."Will you p(l)ray with me"? I guess that has a whole new meaning as an adult...maybe I should try that line!

1 Comments:

Blogger Eclecta said...

Hey Gloria,

I stumbled onto your blog through Linda's, and was so glad to read this particular post! Like you, I've spent some time living overseas (and made some fantastic, life-long friends there), and I've also made a few other big life changes (e.g., moving, changing careers, losing religion), and at times it's been a real challenge to develop new friendships. Sometimes it seems that people can't get their heads around the possibility that they could hang out with someone new. Sad, isn't it? I mean, for them ... to be so - so - stuck! But I think you're doing the right thing, putting yourself out there ... There have to be other open-minded people. At least, that's what I'm hoping as I try to do the same thing ... :)

Cynthia

12:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home