Sunday, July 08, 2007

The New 7 Wonders of the World

The new 7 wonders of the world have been announced, as voted by people around the world - and they are: (http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=633&L=0)

- Statute of Christ Redeemer
- Great Wall of China
- Colloseum, Rome
- Taj Mahal
- Petra
- Chichen Itza
- Macchu Picchu

+ Honourary Candidate, Great Pyramids of Giza.


I am sooo glad Egypt reacted the way they did - how can you compare the pyramids of Giza to the Eiffel Tower, the Sydney Opera or the Statute of Liberty? (see announcement, http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=391) I think it's an insult just to mention them in the same breath. The fact that we still can really figure out how the pyramids were even built due to the size and weight of each of the stones and with their limited machinery...I am proud that Egypt reacted the way it did. I know that's how I certainately felt when I saw the final nominations list.

I am quite happy with the list - 5 of 7 of mine made the list. When I voted, the pyramids of Giza were still an option so really, one of my votes were wasted! Rip off...So instead of Statue of Christ Redeemer and Chichen Itza, I voted for Great Pyramids of Giza and Angkor.

The only ones I disagree with....the Statute of Christ Redeemer. I suppose it's more the location and the presence of the statute, rather than the actual statute itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home