Tuesday, August 30, 2005

You can't compare watermelons with grapes...



"This is our tsunami," said Biloxi Mayor A.J. Holloway.

When I read that headline on CBC, I was appalled. I was disgusted. I was offended. Now, before you think I'm being insensitive and am going on with my usual "I hate USA" speech, let me explain. I think it is absolutely devastating to lose your property, your home, your entire community...I cannot even imagine the sense of destruction people in areas affected by Hurricane Katrina are feeling right now. I truly am sympathetic.

HOWEVER...

I don't think it's fair to compare a global catastrophe that directly affected 2 continents, multiple countries including Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Thailand, and altered weather patterns all around the world.

Not to mention permanently changing the landscape of thousands of miles of coastlines.

Oh, and did I also mention that the tsunami killed an estimated 600,000 people, compared to 65 reported deaths so far. Even if this estimate is to increase as it is reported to, it will still not approach the figures seen in the aftermath of the tsunami.

And, perhaps you've heard, there were thousands who were left homeless and other thousands who have died since due to disease.

Plus the fact that the areas affected by the tsunami were among the poorest areas in the world to start with, at least much less affluent and than New Orleans.

Maybe if there wasn't there much to start with, the damage doesn't seem as bad? If the people were already living in poverty, is their loss not as great?

I sincerely hope that the mayor of Biloxi, Mr. Holloway, did not intend any disrespect for those who were affected by the tsunami. In fact, I'm quite certain his comment was just an expression of the shock and despair his city is feeling. But dear Mr. Mayor, you must see that your comparison is disproportionately out of place and severely misguided. I hope Mr. Holloway is a strong leader and will be able to guide the citizens of Biloxi out of despair and work with his neighbours, as well as federal and state governments, to rebuild from Hurricane Katrina.

But Mr. Holloway, please don't' compare watermelons with grapes...

1 Comments:

Blogger glor said...

Linda and Nadia...I'm glad to see your responses...because from what I've heard in the media, no one is willing to say what we are thinking. To me, there is so much irony in the fact that the most powerful country in the world cannot help its own and people, good decent people, are literally wasting away amongst filth and disease. Can't they send in more troops? Oh right, they can't, they're busy fighting a 'war'. I've kept a close eye on news headlines regarding the aftermath of Katrina and I find it sad and yet disturbingly satisfying that there hasn't been a huge international campaign to help...I know I'm sick, but it's very interesting to me. This just goes to show you how much the world cares about the USA as a country on the whole. No one is denying that there is complete sympathy and compassion for individuals and families for their loss, but as a whole nation, the world just doesn't seem to care. It's almost as if the world is saying, "You think you're so tough, you can do things on your own including starting wars? Deal with this yourself..."

11:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home